Thursday 10 April 2014

OUGD406 Studio Brief 04 Menus and Their Design

Because I will be creating a menu of sorts I have collected some images of my favourite menus for inspiration.
Designspiration — yellow owl workshop: Martha Stewart Weddings

yellow owl work shop

The images on this menu make it clear from a distance what each meal entails,this transfers over to the image of the restaurant, making it seem up front and transparent. This is because they make what is in their dishes seem open and simple so anyone could understand. I love this image based idea because it is so un intimidating, which is exactly the feel I need to achieve.
menu



































I have a bit of a thing for hand drawn type and black board menus are an ongoing love of mine. What possibly makes them idea for this task is that they manage to be high contrast and gripping yet welcoming and charming. Perhaps a real set of hand rendered type such as this is not within my talents in the time required but I could integrate some hand rendered type in titles and the like to achieve it's charming affect.


Wedding Menu

Kelty of Steep Street

Once again this is a great image based menu, using soft greys and negative space to create a distinctive yet unobtrusive affect. This also draws attention towards the colour in the images making the for the centre of attention, because of the contrast created. The way that the courses are organised has also given me an idea for the layout of the menu; sorting the processes by difficulty so that students can work their way through if they are uncertain of their talents.

In my type journal I have also collected a number of chalk board type examples.

No comments:

Post a Comment